Saturday, August 17, 2013

The stomach disease known as GA-STRO-PA-REE-SIS


The picture above is really old. This was when I played "the stomach" for an interpretive experience of the human body and the current irony of that is not lost on me. I am unfortunately still quite ill. I have been reading a lot about gastroparesis. It's becoming clear that it is the main culprit. I'm taking prilosec and erythromycin (an antibiotic). I also got this stupid drug from the hospital called bentyl for IBS but I'm not too keen on it's effects. I honestly thought I was having an allergic reaction to it yesterday. It made me feel like the acid was trapped in my esophagus which was very unpleasant and then my throat was burning! I guess after an hour it made me feel a little better, but it reminded me of how I felt on reglan. It's supposed to be the opposite of reglan, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in the E.R. anyway. It really bothered my asthma, too. I don't remember the last time I drank black coffee just to breathe better. My big problem is all the stomach acid I'm constantly dealing with. I can't even eat applesauce. It sounds like people can have both GERD and gastroparesis. I certainly haven't been treating much for either aside from vitamins and probiotics. I get tired of taking pills. I might have to take some of the amitriptylin I have for a few nights. I just loathe the side effects. It's technically an anti-depressant so it's full of them. Are you getting a sense of how many things I've tried over the years? For now, all I can do is try to eat bland foods. I was seriously jealous when I heard these two old ladies on the bus talking about getting cheeseburgers yesterday. I can't haz. I forgot how emotionally draining it is to be so sick... it's awful. I can barely enjoy anything. Another thing that seems plausible is SIBO (small intestinal bacterial growth). I've never heard of it but I'm getting a lot of cramps and gurgles in that area, as well. It apparently can go along with grastroparesis. I keep thinking about the day I started feeling sick. I ate this dish at Noodles & Co with tofu in it. All that soy fermenting! Gross! I probably seem stupid for not knowing some of these things about my own illness, yet as I said it was fairly mild before. I guess I need to start looking at this like Crohn's. It will come and go as it pleases. I just hope I can start feeling better soon. I don't see my gastroenterologist for another two weeks. I've exhausted my options around here, although I was referred to a clinic that's pretty out of my way. It's not very fun to ride the bus when I'm nauseous. Anyway, Cushing's really leaves a lot of gifts behind. I don't doubt for one second that it hasn't been a domino effect. I'm miserable right now and lonely. Will there ever be a day when I don't need this blog again? I really hope so

This is what I was mimicking in my title above:


1 comment:

  1. Awww you "can't haz" a cheeseburger :( I really hope there is a day you don't need this blog too. On the happier side of things, I found internet!

    Panda Puffs

    ReplyDelete