Friday, May 11, 2012

Endocrinology in history? Abraham Lincoln had cancer?


I was watching a show about some of the theories out there over President Lincoln's health. People claim he had something called Marfan's syndrome which made him really tall among other things. It is also proposed "that Lincoln and several of his family members had a hereditary cancer syndrome called multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 2B (MEN2B)". Okay, hold the phone! The reason I find this ridiculously intriguing is because I've always thought my DAD looks a lot like the former leader of our nation. I would post photo comparisons if I had them on hand. I don't know anyone who looks more like Lincoln than my dad. I'm not saying my father has cancer. I'm saying I've heard of MEN types before since I have Cushing's and have wondered if my family has MEN1 in particular. I mean, we made jokes that my dad had Addison's (practically the polar opposite of Cushing's) when we first started reading up on endocrine problems. I used to be extremely skinny just like him. I always thought that I was just like him and would always have my health going for me. Maybe I need to redefine the word "healthy". Somebody once told me it's lucky for a girl to look like her father, especially in Russian culture? I googled the concept and it supposedly means from a scientific standpoint that I have an equal amount of both mother and father genes. That I'm less likely to contract hereditary diseases. Excuse me while I snort a little ironic laugh to myself. My dad is only healthier in comparison to my mom in a few respects. Doesn't seem like luck was much more in my favor either way. It's weird to think endocrine maladies are perhaps quite common yet unknown of even within my history textbooks from high school. Another celebrity in time was diagnosed with steroid-induced Cushing's! The king Mr. Elvis Presley! "Hospital tests established that Elvis had hepatitis, an enlarged liver (possible from painkillers) and Cushing's Syndrome. That last was a hormonal disease that caused bloating, and was down to the many steroids he had been taking to combat the asthma that ran in the family and his ongoing colon problems". They said heart problems were in the genes, as well. Henry VIII is another mentioned candidate. I suppose most of it is just speculation and fun to consider. The Elvis thing makes sense to me. Sounds like the man never slept for days and was always hungry. IBS, prediabetes, high BP, panic attacks, the list continues! Then I discovered an artist on the east coast who has a very similar story to mine! It's really comforting to discover these people for me! Strange how I haven't come across any girls. I know woman in history who may have had Addison's or adrenal insufficiency like Jane Austen or that the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo could've had PCOS. Notice how most of these people are into the arts? I was meant to follow the road less traveled and be crazy creative. I prefer less of the "bitch" mentality though and the ADHD. I also find it really dumb that many made comments on the article about Elvis as being degrading; to talk about his faults in body and mind. If we don't even talk about these things how are people ever going to know these things exist!?! I understand the need for privacy, yet I find this all very enlightening and empowering. Why is it wrong for Elvis to have had problems with drugs or whatever especially considering he had health problems that haunted him? I don't get it. It doesn't make him less of a man or idol in my book. No one blatantly said he was a horrible man. Sigh, but that's how people take it. Being physically big, having lapses in judgement from depression, developing things like Cushing's is considered a disgrace. It's not the man he was. That's right! He had a malady of issues that changed who he was! This doesn't make the musical career he had and his youth less valid. It validates him more. Sickness is a good thing when it comes to explaining a person's weakness. Everyone is weak. Why is it so terrible to say that about a celebrity? He wasn't being mocked, he was human, and being sick weakened him more. It's not an attack on his character. If anything, it should confirm he was very ill in the end and that caused a transformation that was more outward than inward. He's still a legend. I respect him more if he was suffering and that unearthed bad behaviors as opposed to him just being immoral or insane or lazy. Ah, and yet one more actor named Travis Micheal Holder. He reportedly had Sarcoidosis, took Prednisone, and had "a severe muscle and joint syndrome called Cushing's disease". He had to use a cane and got cataracts. I know there was one woman in recent news who was a model or something and had Cushing's. Don't remember her name. I can mostly thank other Cushies for most of this info. It's very fascinating and clearly there's a lot to be said about the need for spokesmanship- famous or not. Such illnesses are not a crime either. It happens and should be addressed better in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment