Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Adrenal insufficiency is not a place you want to go


I didn't think this was the kind of experience I would be able to write about along my road to recovery, but I have discovered what happens when I stress myself out while my hormones aren't up to par. Good opportunity to convey how much this disease sucks before and after surgery, though. I didn't have an adrenal crisis by any means, but I sure don't want to! Basically, when this happens a person gets profusely sick and can fall into a coma or even die. I only experienced the milder side of adrenal insufficiency whilst I was upset. It was late, if you read my last post I wasn't in a good mood, so I was crying. Normal human response. I suddenly felt a lot sicker than I have in awhile. I really thought I was going to have to vomit and other lovely things. I did run to the bathroom at one point. I'll spare you the details. I took some of my anti-nausea medicine before I put two and two together. It didn't get better. Then it dawned on me. I was just very upset, it was the middle of the night, and I have one weak adrenal gland at present. Of course I was low on Cortisol. I checked my blood pressure and the diastolic number was low. Blood pressure has two numbers: systolic and diastolic. According to the chart I looked up the diastolic was in the hypotension (low blood pressure) zone and the systolic stayed at a "high normal". I have no idea how bad this really is or what the combinations mean. I decided to take my Cortisol medicine early. Well, the next time I checked the diastolic had fluctuated to the hypertension level. When I stood up the systolic went down 20. They tell you to stand up to see how much it changes, or if you get faint or anything. Anyway, I understand that blood pressure does this when you're stressed, I just don't know if a person like me should be concerned. I always figured I was well off enough not to worry about adrenal crisis. I went to sleep and when I woke up it was back to a "low normal". Suffice to say, I left a message for my doctor. Being insufficient in any way is not pleasant. It feels like you have a bad stomach flu. Again, I wasn't about to call an ambulance, but it was crazy how fast I started to grow ill. I think this has happened before in the last month. I didn't realize that maybe I was having small bouts of extra Cortisol withdrawal. I'm sure I'm not in any danger. I still feel a little worse for ware this afternoon. I e-mailed my teacher, although I'm sure she doesn't understand despite my attempt at telling her exactly what happened. My roommates looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned it. They just don't know what to say. I get it. My doctor left a message saying I could track my blood pressure for the next few days if I want. This is what's so frustrating! I get really sick and I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. My mom wasn't expecting it to be this rough either. I'm having a hard time talking to her. She doesn't want to hear about it or know what to think. Many people have it or have had it much worse. Cushing's syndrome, Addison's disease, and any other metabolic or hormonal disturbance is a very serious matter. I am mostly writing this blog in the hopes that people will learn to acknowledge that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Adrenal insufficiency is horrible. :( I've been experiencing it for years with my cycles and even more since surgery. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better after sleeping all day! Thanks for the empathy, though. I am going to chart my BP for a few days. It's normal when I'm sitting usually, but it plummets to hypotension level when I stand. And pulse goes over 100. I'm not really eating a lot so maybe that's why?

      Delete