Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Learning who your real friends are


Of course I have to write a post about how when things like this strike, you get to learn who your real friends are! This is one of a few friends who truly understood from the get go that I had been suffering. Most people who were/are there for me are open-minded enough to consider what hormone imbalances do to you or have personal experience or general knowledge of the concept. One friend has been misdiagnosed herself for years. A slew of mental illness possibilities, but never a hormonal one. It only became worse when she had children. I'm starting to see just how traumatizing pregnancy can be. Basically, any girlfriend who has had a baby, seems to know what Cushing's could be like- except it's more than 9 months! Another friend just knows things like this exist. All his mother's horses have it. I was the most surprised when the Dean at my college immediately understood why I had been doing so poorly. He studied biology, so had heard of the disease at some point. I was nearly kicked out of school for good. I've never been a genius, yet never been a flunker either. Many high school friends knew what I used to be like pre-Cushing's and were very concerned about me. I sent a rather heartfelt message to an acquaintance who had been the first to come up to me saying she was willing to realize I wasn't so bad, that some things I'd said or done had clearly been out of my control. The problem is, I moved to a new town a couple years ago. Nobody here knows who I truly am, including any boyfriends I've had; another reason I know I changed. I met my first boyfriend freshman year and while our break-up was super upsetting for me, I got over it even when he got a new girlfriend soon after. I have gotten worse at dealing with break-ups when it should be the opposite! Despite knowing how to be mature, I've faltered in a deep sea of emotions and exhaustion. I am also a lot closer to my family suddenly. I've always taken care of myself and kept to myself. They've all been really helpful now and my parents are sad it came to this. Loved ones have also kept my humor up. Between stretch mark parties and milking the tumor theory, the fact that it's not just a disease it's a syndrome, and so on. Friends have also reaffirmed that while you shouldn't doubt yourself, you should doubt your body if something seems off. I really didn't know what to think anymore. I started to wonder if this was it for me. In my mid-20s with no degree, no career, lack of a decent relationship, no children, nothing to show for myself. I couldn't seem to cope with the world around me. Thank you to... well you know who you are! There are many haters, but also many lovers. With loads of love, your cushion

No comments:

Post a Comment