Sunday, April 1, 2012

The "fat unicorn" complex


One of the first things I learned after diagnosis: a lot of horses develop this disease. I've never liked horses very much, but this post is about a mascot for Cushing's. I guess the popular idea is a Zebra. The point being that it is rare in comparison to a horse. I felt the rarity while learning of my prognosis but pictured something more mythical; a unicorn.  I always thought I was different. When I first knew I had Cushing's I seemed to imagine a more robust creature like a hippo but rarer! I looked up "fat unicorns" and that may sound crude but the pictures I found were very cute! This disease has completely thrown me for a loop. I am only 25 but feel like I am at least 40. While unicorns may not exist, I relate to the concept since I had never even known of this disease. I am sick all the time and feel like I traded emotional and mental stability for physical sickness. I probably weighed about 125lbs in this picture above. I now weigh about 150lbs after surgery (was 170 before surgery). Doesn't sound so big but really is when you don't look like yourself. Wish I could say weight loss is a good thing, but I am practically starving to death these days from chronic nausea that nobody can explain. Many have told me they just think I am going through Cortisol (the chemical that your body overproduces when you have Cushing's) withdrawal but I am not so sure about that. One of my sisters has recently confirmed she has a form of hypothyroidism and she has always had autoimmune problems. Maybe there is another disease driving this problem? I used to think I was depressed and there was no hope for me, I even tried anti-depressants once, but it turns out there is a lot more going on in my body than I ever could've imagined. Please understand that the human body is complex and crazy- it will attack itself if it sees fit. I've always taken good care of myself and didn't think I could get something like this. It is a very disfiguring disease among other things. On a lighter note, please enjoy this unicorn documentary. Animal Planet should take note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVSaefwQhXk

2 comments:

  1. Great start to the Cushing's Awareness Challenge, Vanessa! Looking forward to reading your other posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am enjoying it so far, although my second post broke my heart a little...

      Delete