Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cushing's is like being in Purgatory


I'm sure some people don't even believe I have a condition. I just made it up. That girl above is the real me, someone who likes to be outdoors and be active. Even if they do believe, they don't think it's as bad as it is. I want people to understand that Cushing's destroys your entire system slowly yet surely. Things have been said to me such as, "It's not  like you have *insert serious illness here*" or "being moody is not a disease". You can't imagine how closely knit emotions are to physical malfunctions. It's beyond amazing the difference I feel. I couldn't hold back tears or control the tone of my voice. I rarely felt good and didn't know why. I had disturbing memory lapses. Who forgets their pin number and can't remember for the life of them? Everyone thought I was crazy. Your muscles, bones, ecetera aren't just a little tender either. Depending on how long you've had it, they literally waste away. It's myopathy. I admit it sounds mild when I read about it. It's not. I tried to bike some and swim this weekend and I feel like a bus hit me. I am scared some things are irreparable no matter what I do. There isn't much information on the subject to begin with. I am limping when I walk and I feel every step. I think I swam maybe 6 laps before I gave up. It was nice to be able to move freely in the water, however. I'm still afraid to jump or run much because my skin hangs off me in a very unnatural and loose manner. I'm always short of breath.The point is nobody knows how long you have this before it becomes obvious- if it ever does. Looking back at pictures, I feel like I might've had the weight gain since freshman year (and I don't mean the freshman 15). It's a gradual and cruel process. Some weird switch just went on and I didn't have a clue. The worst part is, most friends and family brush off your discomfort and you're inclined to agree, because what could it be? It couldn't be a tumor eating you from the inside out! That's absurd! I'm a huge believer in knowing yourself better than anyone else. What about when you don't feel like you anymore? You feel like you're trapped in a constant battle. You push that rock up the hill and then do it again. If you're lucky, you get better but it's always lurking. For example, I am having problems with sleep patterns once more. Why? Get thee behind me, Cushing's! Again, I use amusing animation to emphasize my point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8ctJTF1ZY

No comments:

Post a Comment