Saturday, April 14, 2012

Today is an update about my sister


My sister went through a slew of tests and doctors in the last month and all we've managed to confirm is that she's prediabetic now. That new medicine of hers is just the worse. She started it in January. Her glucose wasn't that high before. Her FSH is low but normal. I don't understand why she appears to have no cycle anymore. At least this is something we can try to treat before it gets worse. I couldn't imagine her having to take insulin everyday. What a nightmare! I guess there's a medicine we can give her. Maybe the poor girl will finally lose some weight. It's the same medicine they use to treat POCS, so while we didn't confirm that, it's like hitting two birds with one stone. We need to consider changing her diet, too. It's hard to explain to your mentally disabled sister that she can't have unhealthy snacks. When me and my other sister used to think we had celiac disease, I don't recall my mom trying to change Victoria's diet, too. She probably would've thrown a fit. My mom isn't even going to tell her exactly what's wrong. It's obvious being overweight upsets her. I can't count the number of times I've heard her crying, saying her clothes don't fit. She always says they must've shrunk in the wash. I don't think she understands how big she is or she doesn't want to. My endocrinologist is having a field day with my family. I'm frustrated that this is the only thing we've found, though. Glad we caught it but I can't help but think she's breeding something like what I have. Maybe she's not. I know she's "predisposed" to like me. I never heard that term before Cushing's. I think it's just a half-assed way of saying it's probably genetic. That's all for today.

A bit of information I found from the Mayo and I have to admit it makes sense: "Dipsogenic diabetes insipidus. In this form of DI, also known as primary polydipsia or psychogenic polydipsia, excessive fluid intake leads to suppression of ADH. Drinking too much liquid can be the result of abnormal thirst caused by damage to the thirst-regulating mechanism, situated in the hypothalamus. Diseases such as sarcoidosis can cause such damage. Dipsogenic DI also can be caused by mental illness. In some cases of diabetes insipidus, doctors never determine a cause.

Your body makes ADH (anti-diuretic hormone/vasopressin) in the hypothalamus and stores the hormone in your pituitary gland, a small gland located in the base of your brain. It is released into your bloodstream when necessary. It then concentrates the urine by triggering the kidney tubules to reabsorb water back into your bloodstream rather than excreting as much water into your urine."

Symptoms of diabetes include (some people have no symptoms at all or is gradual): Unusual thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, extreme fatigue, frequent infections, cuts/bruises that are slow to heal, tingling/numbness in the hands/feet, recurring skin, gum, or bladder infections

No comments:

Post a Comment